The most rewarding things I’ve done in my life were also the scariest, but I’ve realized that if something is hard, it’s all that more appealing to me. The hard is where the growth lies. .
Looking back at my life, I’ve done the following things that terrified me-
- Moved out of my parent’s house at 18 to get residency in another state for college. Paid for a 5 year education through work and student loans and moved 5 times for internships in 4 years. 3x to Manhattan, the first time was 6 months after 9/11. I was determined to be a fashion designer.
- Quit my career that I’d worked so hard for after 6 years in the industry to become a personal trainer. I wanted to pursue my passion.
- Got on stage twice basically painted orange and in a thong. I admired people who had done this and had to try it!
- Got married. I learned I am absolutely terrified of trusting and letting people in close. This has been a huge push for me.
- Had a baby. I was completely paralyzed with fear the day I found out I was pregnant. It was something I’d always wanted but I didn’t know how we would be able to make it work. My daughter is the love of my life now.
- Started lifting heavy and then CrossFit. I get scared almost every workout, especially when the weight gets heavy, but I’m working on my mental game and I push through, and am glad I did.
- Lately it was the decision to stop playing small and start my own business. Yet, as I’ve gone through more and more experiences of doing things that scare me, this one is a little less terrifying. –
These are just some examples, but you see with every one of these things, there was resistance and fear first, reasons why not to do it… but something deeper inside saying, you’ve got to go for it. –
What is that thing you’re thinking about trying? Admiring others that are doing it but thinking,
- Maybe later..
- Maybe next year…
- I could never do that…
- That won’t work for me… –
Whatever it is, I say, go for it. It might not work out, it might not be the be all that ends all for you but I promise you, you’ll learn more than you ever could have imagined, and you’ll be glad you did it!
If you feel lost in the sea of food and fitness information and are ready to get off the diet roller coaster, Apply Now!